Decatur Clean Energy Roundtable 3: The Built Environment

On Thursday, Feb. 24, 2022, the City of Decatur, Southface, and Greenlink staff lead the last session of the clean energy roundtables.

See the full powerpoint presentation here.

How to use Miro Boards | Miro Board Example


What is the Integrated Planning Forum?

Forums are planning sessions where residents, planners, and others collaborate on a community vision. They are organized to encourage the participation and ideas of all involved and offer the unique advantage of giving immediate feedback to the planners. More importantly, forums allow everyone who participates to be a mutual author of the plan. 

A forum allows you to provide input and to witness your input be compiled into the plan. The Decatur Recreation Center was selected to host the forum to maximize exposure to downtown residents and visitors and encourage their participation in the visioning process. Additionally, previously interviewed stakeholders and subject matter experts are invited to participate in plan development to help translate our community’s vision into actionable policies and programs. 

Why Participate? 

The result of an effective forum will be a Clean Energy plan containing programs and initiatives where all participants have ownership and will provide support as the Plan is implemented in long term. The City of Decatur will play a critical role as host of the forum with the Southface and Greenlink Analytics Planning Teams coordinating participants, as well as inputting opportunities and deliverables. Stakeholders, City staff, and elected officials (as may be needed) will be available for scheduled meetings during the charrette. 

What is the Decatur Clean Energy Plan? 

On October 28th, 2021 the City of Decatur launched Clean Energy Decatur, our initiative to develop Decatur’s plan for a clean energy future. As part of an ongoing effort to protect the city and community against the negative impacts of climate change, Decatur is creating a Clean Energy Plan to help the City move away from its reliance on fossil fuels and towards a resilient, renewable future. This Clean Energy Plan is an element of Decatur’s 2020 Strategic Plan, Destination 2030, which identifies climate action, racial equity, and enhanced mobility as top community priorities. 

While our electricity provider, Georgia Power, will add more renewable energy to its portfolio in the years to come, their current plans only have them increasing from their current 7 percent in 2021 up to 24 percent renewables by 2035. This would leave the remaining balance of 76 percent coming from non-renewable energy sources like coal, natural gas, and nuclear power. During our Destination 2030 development process, Decaturites firmly told us that more action is needed, and that Decatur needs to develop a Clean Energy Plan to accelerate the transition to a clean energy future.

How you can join us! 

Come join us for open house sessions and drop-in hours while the team is working. 

  • Learn about Clean Energy issues
  • Interact with ACES: a tool to plan Clean Energy efforts and measure impacts
  • View planning progress posted throughout the day
  • Ask questions of team members and see your input shape Decatur’s Clean Energy Plan

Forum Schedule

March 8

7:00am -10:00am: Opening public session: Come hear about the Decatur Clean Energy Plan’s progress and findings to date

11:00am – 6:30pm: Lobby open for walk-ins for all community members 

March 9 

8:00am – 3:00pm: Lobby open for walk-ins for all community members

4:00pm – 7:00pm: Open House, Decatur and its team members will review the completed plan elements 

Your Safety Matters! 

The City will have the following safety precautions in place to limit the spread of the coronavirus and create a safe environment for in-person participation:

  • Temperature checks and contract tracing sign-in required for entry
  • Regular sanitization of common surfaces and furniture
  • Masks worn by all participants throughout the event

Oct. 28 Kickoff Meeting Video and Presentation

In October 2021, the City of Decatur kicked off the planning process for Clean Energy Decatur, the City’s Clean Energy Plan process. The Clean Energy Plan will set goals and outline steps to efficiently and equitably transition Decatur away from fossil fuels. The Decatur Community identified climate change as a top priority and this plan will guide the City’s response to this pressing concern. We had a great first meeting and are excited for the upcoming workshops!

See the meeting’s full presentation here.